Scotland’s Leading Maritime, Naval & Yachting Bookdealer
+44 (0)1436 676 453
mclarenbooks
info@mclarenbooks.com
MclarenBooks

The First [to Seventeenth] Report of the Commissioners Appointed to Enquire into the State and Condition of the Woods, Forests, and Land Resources of the Crown, and to sell or alienate fee farm and other unimproveable rents

.
London 1787-1793

In stock

  • Description

Description

London 1787-1793

17 reports plus index, bound into two volumes. folio [42x27cm] 1394 pages in all

this is the complete series of reports produced by the Commissioners charged with investigating the state of the Crown Lands, Woods, and Forests, etc.

The initial Commissioners were Charles Middleton, John Call, and Arthur Holdsworth, all Land Surveyors, but Holdsworth died in 1787 and was replaced by the time of the third report by John Fordyce

One of the commissioners’ main concerns about the woods and forests was “.the protection, increase, and supply of timber thereon for the use of the Royal Navy”; in fact in their preface to the third report, they describe this as being “by far the most important” object of their commission. it is therefore natural that there is much of relevance in these reports to the state of the Crown’s woods and forests in so far as they relate to furnishing the timber required for the buiding of ships for the Royal Navy at a critical period in its history

the eleventh report of February 1792 is particularly relevant to this subject, and in addition to its 160 pages of text, contains two folding engraved plates displaying the midship sections of men-of-war

The reports are followed by the 54 page general index published in June 1793

The reports are all in good clean condition, each with their own title-page, and are stoutly bound in two volumes of half morocco leather over cloth boards, with protective tape pinned to the lower edges, and top edges gilt. the bindings are a little rubbed and worn at the extremities and around the spines, but are in good sound condition. each volume carries a Public Record Office book-plate on the front paste-down, with library cancellation stamp; but there are no other library markings or stamps